Bill Jones Returns To NBL Canada Sideline
February 20, 2016
NBL Canada Media
The NBL Canada Board of Governors have agreed to allow Bill Jones to return to the Windsor Express bench effective immediately.
Several weeks ago an appeal was submitted to Commissioner Magley & League President Frijia, to consider a reinstatement for the 3 year NBL veteran coach.
The decision was based on several facts:
• The severity of the original punishment based in the infraction
- In the aftermath of Game 7 not occurring the league took unusually strong steps in order to send a message to all
- If isolated a coach/player contact would be a definite breach of judgement but not a year suspension, probably 10-20 games maximum
• The impact of the suspension on the franchise
- With the success of the franchise historically & the marketing efforts the team is taking, the fan support at this time should be significantly greater than it has
- It is believed that returning Coach Jones will have a definite impact to the business piece
- Team's viability & sustainability have to be honestly considered
• The fairness or equity of the ruling based on other participants
- 20 games is already longer than all other participants who remain in the league
• Consistency of reviewing the other appeals
- Upon reviewing the appeal of others, it is only fair to consider his as well
• Admission of guilt
- Coach Jones has admitted & apologize for his involvement in the unfortunate incident
"In viewing this entire episode from start to where we are today, I am confident that this is the proper move for us in order to move forward as a league", said Commissioner Magley. "Coach Jones has honored his part of the disciplinary action against him & reviewing all factors I believe this is a right & fair decision."
About the National Basketball League of Canada
Celebrating its fifth season, the National Basketball League of Canada (NBLC) was founded in 2011, and is Canada's only professional domestic basketball league. There are currently 9 teams, with two divisions: Central and Atlantic. The NBLC is committed to being one of the leading professional basketball leagues in the world. The NBLC provides Canadian athletes, international athletes, coaches and officials the opportunity to participate in the game they love at the professional level. The NBLC is also dedicated to raising awareness of the sport of basketball throughout Canada, by providing fans with an exciting and entertaining experience.
For more information on the league, visit www.nblcanada.ca. Connect with us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/nblcanada, Facebook at www.facebook.com/nblcanada or Tumblr at www.nblcanada.tumblr.com.